Saturday 3 April 2010

Brave Chicken

Poor Leya one of our chickens was looking under the weather today on her own lying under a bush. When I went over she made no attempt to get up so I picked her up and took her indoors, she ate food I offered her which was a good sign but there was definatly something wrong. She seemed as though she wanted me to help her, I've noticed that with the other birds when there is a problem. On giving her a check over found her right leg was warm and on inspecting her leg found her pad was swollen. Andrew took a look and we found a splinter in her foot. When we pulled it out I thought she was very brave, only whimpered a bit at the end... It was a huge hawthorn thorn over half an inch long and fairly thick. If I had been her It would be more than a whimper, no wonder she didn't want to walk or move. She seems much better now just holding it up a little as still must be sore, we will be giving her a check and cleaning the pad again over the next few days.

No comments:

Post a Comment